Fixed Asset Accounting Director - (Relocate to Rapid City)
Company: Black Hills Energy
Posted on: August 22, 2019
We are seeking an accounting leader with fixed asset and property
experience in the Utility and/or Telecom industries. A successful
candidate will have prior experience working with multiple business
locations, preferably across several states. You will be
responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Company's fixed asset
functions including compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting
Principles (GAAP), Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC),
regulatory requirements, and Sarbanes-Oxley. This position is a key
strategic partner with our accounting, operational and regulatory
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
* Rapid City, South Dakota: You'll find that it is the ideal
community to live, work and do business in. With hiking trails, the
Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park in your
backyard, there are endless opportunities to enjoy nature.
* Rapid City - Hidden Jem of the West:
* Rapid City Chamber of Commerce:
* Full Relocation is offered for this position! Our benefits
include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation
of household goods, temporary housing expenses, trips home during
temporary housing, paid time off to move, transition and spousal
career support, home marketing and home finding assistance, home
sale closing cost assistance, appraised value home purchase option,
relocation adjustment allowance, destination purchase closing cost
assistance, and a partial home equity advance. Contents of our
relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on
SALARY RANGE: $131,800 - $183,220 (Base salary is determined by the
knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
CLOSING DATE: This position will remain open until filled.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Vice President, Corporate Controller and
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Develop a strategic vision and provide leadership to the Fixed
Asset Accounting Department.
* Oversee department in producing accurate and timely accounting
records for all fixed asset additions, transfers and retirements
and depreciation and amortization including journal entries,
documentation, account and subsystem reconciliations, roll forward
schedules (where applicable) and reports.
* Maintain strong understanding of capitalization rules,
regulations and industry best practices and provide leadership and
educational support to the organization to ensure costs are
capitalized in accordance with rules and regulations.
* Partner with Financial Management to provide accurate and timely
fixed asset information, detailed variance analysis and data
investigation and issue resolution.
* Partner with Operations to proactively educate, respond to
questions and assist with issue resolution.
* Partner with Regulatory in support of regulatory filings
including drafting testimony, responding to data requests,
providing recommendations on cost recovery and testifying (when
necessary). Maintain solid understanding of state specific
requirements related to fixed asset tracking to ensure accuracy of
reporting in support of asset recovery through riders and/or rate
* Partner with Tax to provide accurate and timely data for tax
accruals, audits and filings.
* Partner with Internal Audit to review and resolve audit findings
in a proactive approach.
* Review and maintain compliance with Cost Allocation Manual as it
relates to fixed assets.
* Identify areas in current processes and procedures for
improvement, provide recommendations for change to management and
implement improvements by leveraging industry best practices.
* Develop and maintain a knowledgeable, effective and motivated
property accounting team.
* Serve as subject matter expert in all areas of regulated utility
* Maintain strong understanding of internal controls and provide
leadership to the organization to ensure controls are reviewed
frequently, operating effectively and appropriate documentation
* Maintain strong FERC and GAAP knowledge base with respect to new
standards and emerging issues.
* Perform other duties as assigned.
* Ten (10) plus years of accounting, financial and business
* Solid understanding of and experience in fixed asset accounting
for a regulated utility preferred.
* Electric and/or natural gas utility property accounting
* Leadership experience required.
* Experience with PowerPlan software preferred.
* Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Finance or related discipline
* An expert knowledge of regulated electric and/or natural gas
utility fixed asset accounting.
* Expertise in utility operations and regulatory/ratemaking
processes and methods required.
* An expert knowledge of regulatory accounting, including the
ability to interpret and apply specific jurisdictional requirements
as well as FERC accounting and reporting requirements.
* A thorough knowledge of GAAP.
* A strong understanding of internal controls.
* Proficiency in automated accounting systems, particularly
* Ability to direct department and prioritize projects and work
consistent with Company goals.
* Ability to apply strong attention to detail while understanding
and considering the big picture.
* Solid organizational skills and ability to balance multiple
priorities in a dynamic environment
* Ability to drive process improvements.
* Strong oral and written skills, ability to communicate difficult
accounting topics to various levels.
* Ability to drive effective decisions through use of GAAP, FERC
and other accounting research.
* Ability to perform accounting duties of an above average
* Strong computer and analytical skills.
* Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business
* Ability to work effectively as a team leader.
* Ability to act as a strategic partner of the regulatory and
financial management teams.
* CPA, MPA, CMA or MBA preferred.
* Applicant must be able to perform the essential job functions of
the position with or without accommodation.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented
utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a
mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy
partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives,
opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City,
South Dakota, we have over 2800 employees and serve 1.2 million
natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states
(South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas,
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program,
401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement
contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional
Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and
annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term
disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and
wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision
The information contained in this position description describes
the general nature and level of work being performed in this job.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of
responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this
position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in
a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures
and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to
constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may
and do change periodically.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All
applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
We are an EEO Employer.
Keywords: Black Hills Energy, Mansfield , Fixed Asset Accounting Director - (Relocate to Rapid City), Executive , Canton, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!