Company: Fernco Companies
Posted on: May 15, 2022
Job DescriptionSalary: $30,000-$35,000Why come to work
here?Let's be real. Local news reporting in Mansfield, Ohio may not
be the most glamorous gig in the world. There are bigger newsrooms.
There are fancier cities. But if you want to grow in your career
and be ready for the next step, you will be hard-pressed to find a
better opportunity. Here's what we mean.
- Welcoming. Can you think of anything more welcoming than a
community that loves local news so much they fully funded an RFA
position before the reporter even moved in? That's us.
- Entrepreneurial. You'll learn how to think through new
initiatives. You'll call some of your own shots. You'll be in a
safe place to think big and fail fast. And everyone around you will
have your back.
- Community focused. You will learn all about how memberships and
subscriptions support our reporting and make it possible.
- Solutions Journalism. We are going to teach you how to do
Solutions Journalism at a very high level and you'll practice it
- Community engagement. We are a Hearken newsroom, which means
you'll learn community engagement from the ground up. You'll answer
reader questions and develop relationships with sources in a way
you don't learn in J-school.
- Professional development. We're relentless about helping our
staff get better and improve through professional development
- Connected. We count the Knight Foundation, the Solutions
Journalism Network, Hearken, the Meta Journalism Project, the
Google News Initiative, LION Publishers, the Medill School of
Journalism, The Sulzberger Fellowship at Columbia University, the
CUNY Graduate School of Journalism, Report for America, the NYC
Media Lab, the Associated Press, and many more among our partners.
Bottom line: we may not be your last job, but we will prepare you
for the next one. Let's fact-check those claims
- Our 2021 Impact Report and members tell our story.
- Two reporters headed to 2021 SJN Summit.
- Deep audience listening results in Citizens' Agenda.
- Newsroom Partnerships and memberships add up to $250k support
for local reporters.
- An AI startup built in our newsroom helps newsrooms in over 30
- How a story on infant mortality turned into a community baby
- 2020's racial reckoning turned into a collaboration with a
- The Source and SJN co-hosted a national revenue summit in
- Solutions Journalism at the Source makes Knight's "Best of"
list for 2019.
- We're serious about membership. Have you ever tried
- And when it's time to relax, how about a rock show in the
newsroom?"Their commitment to creating a better news product is
unwavering, and it's deeply tied to creating journalism that truly
serves and builds their community," said Samantha McCann, COO, The
Solutions Journalism Network. "Every publication could learn a
thing or two from Richland Source."Job Description We are looking
for an innovative, entrepreneurial reporter who isn't afraid to
break from the mold of a traditional newsroom. Ideally, our
reporter will make a home in Richland County, Ohio to best become
part of the community, respond to news as quickly as possible, and
engage with our readers.We expect this reporter to pick their spots
when it comes to working with a Solutions Journalism mindset, as
this is a key part of what we do. We also utilize Hearken, a
reader-involvement tool that solicits questions from readers that
we expect to be another consistent component of the position.Our
team at all three sites works together to frequently share content,
ideas and resources. Our small network of sites will combine for
approximately 25 million page views this year and 500k visitors per
month.Qualifications and Responsibilities
- A college graduate with strong writing, reporting and
- Basic knowledge of photography, audio and video production
- A well-rounded individual who can cover a city council or
school board meeting, or take a camera to a Friday night high
school football game
- Ability to work under tight deadlines in a fluid schedule.
- Write accurate, clear and well-reported stories while facing
- Identify and pitch stories on various subjects
- Write and update stories on the news of the day
- Work with other reporters on various assignments
- Collaborate with other departments for various assignments
- Occasional travel and work on nights, weekends and holidaysIt's
possible that a great candidate won't check all of these boxes. If
that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself and
why your background makes you a great fit.CultureThe culture here
is collaborative and entrepreneurial, and you need to know that
going in. This isn't a giant newspaper and we don't act that way.
If you want a 200-foot tall wall between the newsroom and the
revenue team, we are not the place for you. We never compromise our
ethics, but are realistic about the position the business of local
news finds itself in, and we -- all of us -- are committed to
fixing it. Our team works together frequently to support membership
efforts, organize events, meet with readers, and create content.
Our standards are high and we work our tails off, but we have fun
while we do it.We are non-partisan, in case you were wondering.
We're not interested in being a part of the hate economy that has
done so much damage to our industry and democracy. That said, to
quote the incredible ad writers at the Texas Tribune, "non-partisan
is not non-thinking. We call B.S. when B.S. needs to be
called."LocationOur vibrant offices are located in a growing
downtown section of Mansfield, within walking distance of an
emerging scene encompassing bars, live music venues, restaurants
and the best coffee shop and bakery in town.Salary & Benefits
- $30,000 - $35,000 with up to $8,000 in annual performance
- Downtown office in a vibrant co-working space with free
- A company-wide hybrid work environment.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- An HSA with an employer contribution.
- Paid parental leave.
- 401k program with a 100% employer match.
- 3 weeks paid vacation.
- Up to 2 weeks PTO in addition to vacation.
- Employer-paid emotional and mental health support /
- 8 paid holidays, including MLK day and Juneteenth.
- A generous technology and cell phone stipend.InclusivityWe
believe that the best organizations reflect the communities they
serve, and we're taking steps to make that a reality at the Source.
We're committed to inclusivity for all people and backgrounds. We
especially encourage people from traditionally marginalized
backgrounds to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ people, and
people with disabilities.
Keywords: Fernco Companies, Mansfield , Reporter, Advertising , Mansfield, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!